Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Debating the Good Book

   I'm with Richard Dawkins on this one. I can't be certain there is no god. Or gods. But as I read more blogs and articles by atheists, I'm struck by how often they attempt to debate the bible. This is a fool's errand in my mind.

   It's no different really than my son attempting to debate the reasoning behind a character's actions on a popular TV show. It's fiction!(1) Not only is it fiction, but in many places it is inconsistent, ambiguous, and contradictory fiction. Combine that with the christian tendency to shun logic and ignore facts, and you have an argument that you can't win.

   Unfortunately, it's fiction that they hold to be true. While they will tell you that the bible is their god's blueprint for the world, the reality is that the bible is the foundation for their religion. The same can be said for non-christian religions and their respective books.

   What I think is that god, if it exists, has never revealed itself to any person or persons. That this god bears no resemblance to those of any religion.

(1) Like many novels, the bible should have a blurb saying "This story is based on actual events." I'm sure that some of the events described in the bible really happened. But like a good historical novel, there is plenty of made-up fantasy mixed in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Trolls and spammers will be ignored. I'm interested in what you have to say because...I'm a reasonable guy!